I love love love love books. I love to read them, and smell them, and look at them, and enjoy everything that they have to offer. But what are you supposed to do with all of those old hardback books sitting around taking up space and collecting dust? Well! I found this amazing book, The Repurposed Library by Lisa Occhipinti! I originally bought the book to make the “bookmobile” on the front cover.
I had seen them on etsy selling for around $75. I couldn’t justify that, but they looked simple enough to make. In all honesty, I probably didn’t need to purchase the instructional book to make the mobile, but I was confused about how to keep the cover of the book from crunching the pages. Anyway I decided this was something I definitely wanted to tackle. I have some hardcover books that mean a lot to me, and I didn’t want to set about destroying them without knowing how the project was going to turn out. I went to amazon and ordered some used hard cover books that looked nice and old. I bought two of my favorites from when I was little. Mary Poppins and Mary Poppins comes back. When they arrived in the mail, I discovered that they weren’t actually old books at all. They were relatively brand new books with a dust jacket designed to look old. I decided not to let this deter me, and kept on trucking.
So I got started destroying this brand new book I had just purchased. It hurt my heart a little, but I persevered. The breaking apart of the book was definitely the most difficult part of the project. There were a lot of finishing details to the project that I politely overlooked in my haste to finish. (I seem to have this problem a lot.) The author of the book, Lisa Occhipinti, suggested covering the front and back inside covers of the book with a decorative paper, but I just wanted to hang it up and look at it. Here’s how mine turned out! I was so excited to hang it up and take a picture of it, I couldn’t even be bothered to tidy up my craft room.
I think it turned out pretty great! I know the pages look a little squished, but they’re really not. It’s just the way the picture turned looks. The problem was I couldn’t stop inserting pages into my design! I kept wanting to add more! And then when I added more, it got heavy and changed the way the whole thing looked, so I had no choice but to add more in different places to offset the weight. Anyway, after much deliberating, I finally decided to call it quits, and that’s what I ended up with.
After that, I ended up with three-quarters of an unused book, and didn’t know what use it would have to me. So I turned again to the Repurposed Library and decided to use the pages to make this!
It’s a vase! And the flower on top is wax paper flower that I made from another tutorial many moons ago. I know it seems tedious to sit and cut all of the pages of the book into the shape of a vase, but it honestly wasn’t that bad. I did it while I was on hold with our cable company trying to get our internet fixed (that is the reason for the lack of blog posts recently). So after cutting all the pages, just a little bit of hot glue and a lot of fluffing and arranging, we have a vase! I still have another book that I think I’m going to make into another book mobile to have a pair. I’m really excited to get started on that, and to continue to try to out other projects within the book. Of course I”ll keep you posted and updated on my future projects! Keep crafty, kids!