living room

Standard

I’m not sure if y’all remember, but around Christmas time I took a whole week off from blogging because I was painting my living room and dining room. Well, after that big to-do, I decided I needed a big piece of art to hang over my TV. Unfortunately, I couldn’t afford a big piece of art, so I decided to make one for myself. After perusing the interwebs for quite some time, I got some awesome ideas. My inspiration came from the two following places.

I knew that the best way to get a bang for my buck would be to use multiple canvases. I really liked the chevron idea, but when I showed it to my husband, he responded, “I like the idea but I hate that pattern.” (which was the main part I liked). So I was on the hunt for something else! And when I saw the striped coffee table, I was all over it.

So we headed to the craft store with virtually nothing in mind, and about two hours later, after many deliberations over the color palette, we walked out with a $48 purchase. Two packs of two 24″x18″ canvases, and two bottles of 8 different color paints. Don’t ask how we got it all for that steal of a price, but we managed!

I have an extreme problem of wanting to get started on things immediately. When I get an idea or see something I want to start working on, I have to start it right that minute! It’s a curse. So I decided I was starting this project RIGHT NOW. Which just so happened to be 9:30 Friday night. And I also decided that whether he wanted to or not, my husband was helping me. Fortunately, he was great about it. He helped me figure out how to lay out the 45degree lines, how wide they should be, how to space the panels so that the stripes would look continuous. I was going to just draw some random lines and hope it all turned out okay, because I’m not all about planning and preparation, and measuring and crap. But thankfully, Matt is. So we began. Marking lines, taping everything off, and getting our paint on. We started with three canvases (because we couldn’t fit four on our dining room table) painting all the stripes in one direction. It took awhile because we had to do multiple coats of each color, and then we could only do every other stripe because of the tape.

Tada! And then after we got all the one way stripes taken care of, we switched to the other direction. This was more difficult, because I couldn’t just paint straight across everything. I had to decide what to paint and what would weave under and what would weave over, etc.

And then we started the stripes the other way. And then we were finished with the first three canvases.

And then it was time for the fourth canvas. Which was where I where I made my first mistake. I was surprised it took me until the fourth canvas to mess things up, because I usually take care of messing things up within the first step. It wasn’t a major error that couldn’t be taken care of, but it was still a pain in the butt. When I started doing the stripes in the opposite direction, instead of weaving and going over and under, I went all the way across. Brilliant, yes. But fixable. So after fixing that mistake, I had a bunch of touch up work to do where my tape lines had overlapped or had left white spots. Then I had to paint the edges of the canvases a solid color, which didn’t take too much time, because I wasn’t particularly precise about things. And then! It was time to hang these bad boys on the wall.

This is where Matt came in extra handy again. I wanted to just throw some nails in the wall and slap the paintings up there, but as I’ve already mentioned, he’s much more precise about things, so he came up with the idea of doing a sort of ledger where we put four thin pieces of wood on the wall and hung the canvases from them so that they would be straight and level at all times. So Matt hopped up on the entertainment center and started measuring all over the place. He pulled out his level, and marked all kinds of lines and prepared to put up the pieces of wood. We didn’t have anything on hand, so we cut a yard stuck in to four pieces, and Matt used his finish nailer and air compressor to put the pieces of wood on the wall. And when we were finished we had four perfectly straight and level ledges to hang the canvases on.

And THIS is the finished result.

I LOVE the result! I think it turned out great. It was one of my favorite projects I’ve done to date. Throughout the whole process, people kept asking me if I was going to blog about it, but I kept saying no, because it wasn’t an original idea, and it was something that I did for myself, but I couldn’t resist showing off the finished product.

Here is another angle with the TV up. Yes, we have one of those badass entertainment centers where the TV goes up and down.

So there you have it, folks. The finished product! I hope you like it! If this looks like something you guys want to take on, but you have questions or concerns, please feel free to e-mail me. Like I said, it was a lot of fun to do, and I love the way it turned out. It was really easy to do, but kind of a time consuming process. But I guess that some things are worth waiting for, because I still look up over the TV and am so proud of what I created. Let me know what you guys think!

Advertisements

3 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s